Sunday, February 12, 2012

thwuup. thwuup. thwuup,thwuup,thwuup

Pay no mind.  It is just the sound of my rotors as I hover.

Those who rail against helicopter parents maybe just don't get it...

What normal 19 year old is savvy enough to stand up to a bureaucracy?  Not too darn many.  When most of them are told, "Oh, sorry.  There's nothing we can do."  or "I'll do it.  I haven't taken care of it YET, but I WILL," they  just walk away feeling used and disillusioned.  And they wait.  And wait.  And wait.

The very idea of an adult in a position of power making a mistake and then leaving the 19 year old victim of that mistake to clean up the mess herself just seems to me to be a bad idea all round...

Yes, there is a time to step back and let your child stand on their own two feet.  This was not one of them.  I hope that Ms. Flippers has now learned that there is a time for patience and a time to kick problems to "the next level".  I hope that if this ever happens in the future, she will now be able to take care of it herself and I can just stand back with my rotors at idle.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree as A Home Adult myself it a weird mix of you are an adult but not on your own yet. the Benefit is when an instance of something happens that you are not ready to handle, someone with more experience in the madder is there to either solve it or just guide.

    ReplyDelete